Find Out More About the Central New Jersey Economy & Job Market
"Somerset, Hunterdon, and Middlesex, NJ Counties will be among New Jersey's strongest employment growth areas this year, powering a statewide job recovery that should last into the next century."
- Rutgers University forecast, July 1997
Facts about the New Jersey Economy
- New Jersey is the 8th largest state economy.
- New Jersey is now the eighth largest exporting state.
- There are 60 million consumers within a 250-mile radius of New Jersey.
- In 2000, 12 of 33 FDA-approved drugs were credited to New Jersey based pharmaceutical companies.
- New Jersey has 55 colleges and universities, including Princeton and Rutgers Universities and The New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Somerset County had an unemployment rate of 2.1% in 2000 as compared to a nationwide rate of 5.8%
- More than 20 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in New Jersey.
- The national headquarters for Fortune 500 companies, AT&T and Johnson & Johnson, are both located in Central New Jersey.
Central New Jersey's Top 20 Employers
|1.||AT&T (National Headquarters)||Telecommunications||Somerset, Hunterdon, Middlesex &Union Counties||23,000|
|2.||Lucent Technology Equipment||Telecommunications||Warren, Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Bernards||16,500|
|3.||Johnson&Johnson (National Headquarters)||Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Products||Bridgewater, Raritan Borough, Montgomery, North Brunswick, Warren||11,000|
|4.||Rutgers University||Education||New Brunswick, Piscataway||8,403|
|5.||Merck & Co.||Pharmaceutical||Readington, Franklin, Woodbridge, Rahway||7,403|
|6.||Schering Plough||Pharmaceutical||Bernards, Union, Kenilworth||5,670|
|8.||University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ||Education||New Brunswick, Piscatatway||4,391|
|9.||Merrill Lynch||Financial||Franklin, Piscataway, Somerville, Westfield||3,831|
|10.||R.W. Johnson University Hospital||Medical||New Brunswick||3,574|
|11.||Chubb & Son, Inc.||Insurance||Warren, Branchburg, Bridgewater, New Providence||3,000|
|12.||St. Peter's University Hospital||Medical||New Brunswick||2,702|
|14.||Bristol-Myers Squibb||Pharmaceuticals||New Brunswick||2,200|
|15.||MetLife||Insurance||Somerset, Hunterdon Counties||2,000|
|16.||Foster Wheeler||Construction||Clinton, Union, Lebanon||1,999|
|17.||Somerset Medical Center||Medical||Somerville||1,712|
|18.||Hunterdon Healthcare System||Medical||Raritan Borough||1,700|
|20.||Solaris Health Systems (Muhlenberg)||Medical||Plainfield||1,450|