"Somerset, Hunterdon, and Middlesex, NJ Counties will be among New Jersey's strongest employment growth areas this year, powering a statewide job recovery that should last into the next century."
- Rutgers University forecast, July 1997
Facts about the New Jersey Economy
- New Jersey is the 8th largest state economy.
- New Jersey is now the eighth largest exporting state.
- There are 60 million consumers within a 250-mile radius of New Jersey.
- In 2000, 12 of 33 FDA-approved drugs were credited to New Jersey based pharmaceutical companies.
- New Jersey has 55 colleges and universities, including Princeton and Rutgers Universities and The New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Somerset County had an unemployment rate of 2.1% in 2000 as compared to a nationwide rate of 5.8%
- More than 20 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in New Jersey.
- The national headquarters for Fortune 500 companies, AT&T and Johnson & Johnson, are both located in Central New Jersey.
Central New Jersey's Top 20 Employers
||AT&T (National Headquarters)
||Somerset, Hunterdon, Middlesex &Union Counties
||Lucent Technology Equipment
||Warren, Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Bernards
||Johnson&Johnson (National Headquarters)
||Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Products
||Bridgewater, Raritan Borough, Montgomery, North Brunswick, Warren
||New Brunswick, Piscataway
||Merck & Co.
||Readington, Franklin, Woodbridge, Rahway
||Bernards, Union, Kenilworth
||University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ
||New Brunswick, Piscatatway
||Franklin, Piscataway, Somerville, Westfield
||R.W. Johnson University Hospital
||Chubb & Son, Inc.
||Warren, Branchburg, Bridgewater, New Providence
||St. Peter's University Hospital
||Somerset, Hunterdon Counties
||Clinton, Union, Lebanon
||Somerset Medical Center
||Hunterdon Healthcare System
||Solaris Health Systems (Muhlenberg)